Family Dinner Conversation Starters
Between work, school and daily activities, it can be difficult to fit in some quality conversation time with your family.
Family dinners make the perfect setting to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the day, disconnect from distractions including technology, and share some quality time.
But at the end of long days, you may find your family is a little less than chatty. And with such a variety of personalities and activities, you may find that conversation starters
don't always come easily. That's why we've put together this list of easy conversation starter questions that are sure to get even the quietest of family members chatting up a storm.
From boring old week day meals to exciting Friday nights with friends, these conversation starters are perfect for any family dinner.
Try out some of these conversation starter questions at your next family dinner and see where the conversation flows.
2-5 years old
- What's your favorite food?
- What's your favorite drink?
- If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What do you think the best part of turning X will be?
5-9 years old
- What's your favorite season?
- Tell me something that made you laugh this week.
- What's your favorite holiday?
- If you could make up your own holiday, what would it be for?
- What's the craziest thing you've ever eaten?
- If you could do one thing to change the world, what would it be?
- What is your hidden talent?
- Which Guinness world record do you think you could break?
- Who is or was your favorite teacher? Why?
9-12 years old
- What's your favorite movie?
- If you were stranded on a deserted island with only one item, what would you want it to be?
- What would you do with a million dollars?
- If you could invite a famous person to dinner, who would it be and why?
- If you could have any super power, what would it be?
- If we could go anywhere you wanted on vacation, where would you choose? Why?
- If you were invisible, where would you go and what would you do?
- What are the best and worst things about school?
- What's your favorite subject in school?
- If you could swim in a pool of anything other than water, what would it be?
- Would you rather smell like cheese or only smell cheese?
13 & Up
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What movie are you dying to see?
- What is your favorite TV show right now?
- Did you hear about (something trending in the news)?
- What is the one thing you couldn't live without?
- What are you reading in school right now? Do you enjoy it?
- What is your idea of the perfect day?
- Are you a "cup half full" or "cup half empty" kind of person?
- You just got abandoned in the jungle, what pack of animals would you join?
- If your life were a movie, who would play you and what would the title be?
- Would you rather sweat orange juice or milk?
- What emotion would you want to live without?